Black and white self portrait done in a slightly more painterly style than my usual cross-hatching style. Took about two hours, done using a mirror and photographic reference in Photoshop. (I’m still working on getting rid of all of my lines, but it’s getting there).
This is my doodle for our group blog’s doodle of the week. The theme was “Kaiju.” So, in true kaiju fashion, this monster was once just a junkyard dog until it was taken over by a radioactive bug that caused it to irradiate and go crazy. This sketch took maybe five minutes or so.
In honor of finally seeing Thor: The Dark World, I present a viking character for Friday Knights! I wanted to focus on a comic book style with heavy blacks and line work with a mostly limited color palette.
Ctrl+Paint is a video reference website I have been using over the past year to develop my digital painting skills. I would highly suggest anyone interested in different digital techniques take a look at even a few of the videos. They are incredibly informative and can give you great ideas and new ways to start and create digital paintings. I owe a lot of my growth to a lot of these lessons. Take a look if you’re interested!
This is just a “quick” painting I did from a photo reference to try and get more comfortable with directly applying color to the canvas. Done in Photoshop, took about 3-4 hours total. From top to bottom, the images represent the three different stages I took to develop and work up the painting. I would work on it more but I think it works well as an exercise and I do not want to risk over-working it. I am making progress though, a digital painting of this caliber would have taken me days a year ago.
For Friday Knights, I give you, Robo-Knight! (He’s actually mostly rubber, by the way, but he is powered by a mysterious energy source, e.g., the floating crystal) I had fun with going over the top with the electricity effects.
FRIDAY KNIGHTS! Influenced by my previous drawing and other sketches of insect characters, I give you this Bug Knight! I really wanted to use a contrasting color scheme and had to tone down the greens with blues and dark reds. I stuck with an overlapping design of hard, shell-like pieces of armor and had a much looser approach to this one.
OH yes! Space bug thing! His right hand is kind of a plasma weapon thing. This took about an hour and a half all total, maybe two. I was really trying to pay attention to the different values and hard/soft shadows as well as using a limited color scheme.